
This weekend I had an experience that I've been averting ever since I had my second child: two kids throwing up at the same time in the middle of the night. I don't know how I've managed to avoid it for so long, but my turn came on Friday night. At 11:40 p.m., after one hour of sleep, I was awakened to cries from the boys' room. Weston had thrown up. Cleaning up throw up is my least favorite part of being a mom, but McKaila was still up and graciously offered to help me. I appreciated that! I did my duty, including starting the load of laundry with a double rinse cycle, and went back to bed. I was called again at 1:40 a.m. Weston had thrown up--this time on the couch, where I'd lain him to finish his night's sleep. While I was bundling up his sheet and blanket to go in the washer the next morning, I heard coughing sounds in Elisabeth's room. I checked on her and she seemed fine, but just to be cautious, I moved her pillow pet out of her crib and it was lucky that I did because not 10 minutes later, I heard her throwing up, just I was finishing the final clean-up of Weston's second episode. So, I put her in the bathtub, which I had already done twice with Weston, and bundled up her sheets and pajamas, adding them to the pile on the washer. At this point, Kevin woke up and I asked him to give the kids blessings, which he did. I was hopeful that this would be the end of it, so I put clean sheets on Weston's bed and put them in bed together while I put new sheets on Elisabeth's bed. Several minutes later, Elisabeth threw up on Weston's bed, soiling another sheet, blanket and pair of pajamas. Fortunately, I was able to get to her and clean her hands and face before she needed a bath. Yet, it was another bundle of sheets on the washer, new sheets and blankets on both kids' beds, and finally, each kid in their own bed. Weston slept the rest of the night. Elisabeth proceeded to throw up four more times, about 10-15 minutes after I'd cleaned up from her last time. I kept thinking, "Her stomach must be empty by now." Finally, at 3:30 a.m., I was able to get a little snack (I'm pregnant and was feeling really nauseous at this point), drink a cup of herbal tea and go to bed. When I woke up in the morning, there was a small amount of throw up on Elisabeth's sheet, which she was eager to point out to me. Clearly, she was too tired to call it to my attention in the middle of the night. Again, I added another bundle of sheets to the washer and spent the rest of the day trying to catch up on laundry--and sleep!
Oi, that's a long night. Glad you avoided that situation for so long--I hope all the throwing up has passed & doesn't hit everyone else-!
ReplyDeleteThat is the mother load of throw up stories, Pam! I hope you were able to rest this weekend--you sounded so exhausted on Saturday night. Hopefully no one else will catch the bug--especially not you. I'm excited you've started a blog...maybe I'll start mine up again now that there are two others in our family who are doing it!
ReplyDelete